RSVP Here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/reimagining-longevity-ideathon-innovating-dementia-care-in-japan-us-and-the-world-tickets-36452153372
Caring for our seniors is a growing concern for governments and economies worldwide as people live longer lives.
Longevity – along with its many blessings - can be fraught with medical, financial, psychological and social burdens that are as complex for aging individuals as for the people who love and care for them.
Yet, we believe, the longevity crisis is also a crucible from which the most creative innovations in elder care can emerge.
Entrepreneurs and innovators have a staggering opportunity to make an outsized impact for 50+ million consumers in an $8 trillion dollar senior care market in the U.S. and Japan combined.
SOMPO, one of the largest insurers and assisted living facility operators in Japan, sees first-hand the widening gap where demand for quality, dignified care at a reasonable cost far outpaces the supply. They’ve been working with innovators in Japan to deploy new technology-enabled solutions, and compassionate business models, to transform elder care.
SOMPO is now teaming up with Venture Cafe to leverage the wisdom of crowds on a global scale -- with a special focus on reimagining care for people with dementia. The prizes for the Ideathon winners are as follow:
- Grand Prize $10,000
- Runner Up $5,000
- Third Place $2,500
In addition, SOMPO will work with the winner on a Proof of Concept in Japan (including airfare and accommodations for two people for a week). We’re eager to share what we experience daily on the frontlines of our 300 care facilities in Japan.
The ten Ideathon company finalists will also receive up to two seats to work out of a new Global Aging Innovation Hub co-working location at CIC for twelve months.
From September 9 thru 12, we’re convening entrepreneurs, business executives, academics and thought leaders in a global “ideathon” with the Venture Cafe to spark collaboration, far out ideas and new insights on how to care for people with the debilitating illness.
Your help is critical: seven million people in Japan, or twenty percent of 65+ year olds, are expected to suffer from dementia within the next 10 years. The number of people worldwide living with dementia is currently estimated at 47 million, and is projected to increase to 75 million by 2030.
We want to encourage you to look at dementia from all angles, including preventive care, home care, remote care, accessibility, financial management, and long term care in healthcare facilities.
Bring your team, or join one at the event, and work on your boldest ideas for scalable technology-enabled solutions:
- How might we detect signs of dementia early and prevent rapid degeneration?
- How might we ease the burden of care on home caregivers?
- How might we increase social engagement among the elderly?
- How will people be able to afford the care they need for a long healthy life?
- How can we improve the built environment, remote services, and monitoring to ensure elders can age with grace?
We’re seeking thoughtful businesses and prototypes designed with elders at the center; and meaningful plans to accelerate the solutions from incubators into living rooms, board rooms, health care facilities, and public spaces.
The timeline for our Ideathon is as follows:
- Tuesday July 20 - SOMPO announces Ideathon at Venture Cafe
- Saturday & Sunday Sept. 9-10 - Ideathon kicks-off at Venture Cafe at CIC Cambridge
- Monday Sept. 11 - SOMPO and Venture Cafe announce ten finalists to present at the final on Sept. 12th
- Tuesday Sept. 12 - Finalists present & winners announced at Venture Cafe’s District Hall event
Schedule for the weekend Ideathon
Saturday, September 9, 2017 9 AM - 6 PM
FOR IDEATHON PARTICIPANTS FOR TWO DAYS
At CIC Cambridge, 101 Main St., 15th Floor, Cambridge, MA
WiFi, Bagels, Coffee / tea, snacks and lunch provided
8:45 - 9:15 - Registration, networking and continential breakfast
- 9:15 AM - 10:30
- Welcome & Opening remarks
- Framing of the size of the dementia issue and the areas that could be addressed
- Ideathon schedule
- Criteria for winning / judges
- Presentation outline
- Introduce mentors available for the weekend
- 10:30 - 11 PM - Pitches by teams that have already formed who might need people to help
- 10:30 AM - 6 PM Breakouts
- Brainstorming area and then work areas for teams with ideas already
- 12 PM lunch arrives
- 1 - 3 PM - Scheduled times for Mentors
- 3 - 5 PM - Mentors available via walk around
- 6 PM - Day One of the Ideathon ends
Sunday, September 10, 2017 9 AM - 6 PM
FOR IDEATHON PARTICIPANTS
At CIC Cambridge, 101 Main St., 15th Floor, Cambridge, MA
- WiFi, Bagels, Coffee / tea, snacks and lunch provided
- 9 AM - 10 AM
- Check-in with teams
- Answer any questions from teams and connect with mentors
- Find who wants to pitch
10 AM - 3:45
- Team breakouts
- 12 PM - Teams indicate who wants to pitch
- 3:45 PM - Submit presentations
- 4 – 6 PM
- Presentations to the Semi-finalist judges
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
FOR FINAL PITCH / AWARDS CEREMONY ATTENDEES AND ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED IN REIMAGINING LONGEVITY
Venture Cafe's District Hall - 75 Northern Ave., Seaport District Boston
- 5 - 5:30 PM - Team check-ins & attendee registration
- 5:30 - 6 PM - Keynote presentation - Mikio Okumura, Director & Managing Executive Officer, SOMPO Nursing Care & Healthcare
- 6 - 7:30 PM- Top Ten Team pitches w/ Q&A time
- 7:30 - 8:00 PM- Reception and judges pick the winners
- 8 - 8:15 PM Awards announcement
- 8:15 Reception continues
Finalists Judges are:
- Alice Bonner – Massachusetts Secretary Elder Affairs
- Valerie Fletcher – Institute for Human Centered Design
- Mikio Okumura – SOMPO Care
- Koichi Narasaki – SOMPO Digital Lab
- Yohie Namiki – SOMPO Care
- Sarah Thomas – Genesis / Aging 2.0