Is your internal artist eager to explore a new medium? Are you a product developer looking to hone your prototyping skills? Consider digital fabrication your next challenge! Fab@CIC, a public makerspace in downtown Boston, is launching a course series that will teach you how to make almost anything with digital fabrication.
Our first course, Making in 2D + 2.5D, held weekly from May 8 to May 29, will teach you how to create images and shapes and fabricate them into real life objects. The course will culminate with a final individual project that will bring together your new skills into something awesome. Skills learned are applicable to interior design, installation art, model making, jewelry production … the list goes on!
Classes are held on Wednesdays from 5:30-7:30pm and include a combination of instruction and hands-on learning, with an optional additional hour of guided practice from 7:30-8:30 pm. Making in 2D + 2.5D is the perfect introduction to digital fabrication and leads into our second course, Making in 3D in June-July, and Making IoT in September.
These are some of the things you could make after taking this course:
Boxes and containers, complex geometric forms, architectural and topographical models, laptop and homeware decals, large-scale patterns for indoor and outdoor applications.... the sky is the limit!
What you’ll learn:
• How to use Inkscape to create vectors and graphics
• How to use the laser cutter to cut and etch onto materials such as wood, acrylic, and stone
• How to use the vinyl cutter to create custom vinyl shapes
• How to build 3D models from designs in 2D
• Two hours of instruction per week plus one hour of guided work time
• Membership to Fab@CIC makerspace for the duration of the course, including workspace and access to the laser cutter, vinyl cutter, and other tools for practice ($100 value)
• Guidance on a final project of your choice to showcase your new skills
• All materials needed for classes and basic materials for your final project
What you need to bring:
• A laptop with Inkscape software installed (free download)
Class Schedule: (by RSVPing, you're signing up for all four classes)
• Wednesday, May 8: Introduction to vector graphics and vinyl decals
• Wednesday, May 15: Etching images and introduction to the laser cutter
• Wednesday, May 22: From 2D to 2.5D - boxes, living hinges, and more!
• Wednesday, May 29: Final project design and development
• Friday, May 31 (optional): Showcase your final projects at the Fab@CIC’s FabFifthFriday social hour
Peter is a 2014 FabAcademy graduate and an Inkscape evangelist. He’s introduced fabrication at Fay School in Southborough, MA where the school built out the Fay Innovation Lab - four classrooms with woodworking and fabrication equipment. Peter currently works at Nara Logics. When he can, he occasionally volunteers in and around the Boston area.
Aidan is the Instructional Manager for the GE/Celtics Brilliant Play Lab. His primary role with the Fab Foundation is developing and delivering curriculum for the middle school mobile lab. Aidan facilitates career-related activities with a focus on STEM in sports and supports course work for partnering schools, working with teachers to integrate the BPL lessons into school curriculum.
Questions? Don't hesitate to get in touch with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or checking our website, cic.com/fab!